A Quick Heads Up
This post may contain affiliate links. We receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) when you make a purchase using our link, which helps us keep bringing you more of these posts!
So a few weeks ago we were hanging out at our friends’ house and we got the bright idea to make homemade ice cream sandwiches! My friend Kristin is a baker at heart and she graciously agreed to teach me how to make the chocolate chip cookies from SCRATCH! Yum! Now, I don’t normally eat a bunch of sugar… but it was soooo good.
We sent the boys – meaning our husbands – out to the store in search of the ice cream, preferably a high-quality vanilla, and the kind in a box (easier to cut into slices to put in the sandwiches). Sadly the only kind they could find in a box these days is the cheap stuff – but no matter the end results were still yummy 🙂 So much so in fact, that I ate 2 of them. Except that then I felt sick to my stomach afterward from all the sugar!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Ice cream sandwiches are great - and even better when the cookies are freshly baked!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
Mix the wet ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cream (mix) the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes, then scrape the bowl and mix again for another 2 minutes to thoroughly incorporate the sugar into the butter. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until blended.
Add the dry ingredients
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add them to the wet ingredients in 2-3 batches. Once all the dry ingredients are incorporated, add the chocolate chip cookies and fold into the dough until evenly distributed.
Bake the cookies
- Scoop evenly sized scoops onto a cookie sheet (either greased or lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner) and bake for approximately 8 minutes, or until you see cracks starting to form on top of the cookie. Let them cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack so they don't fall apart.
Assemble the ice cream sandwiches
- While the cookies are still warm, remove the ice cream from the freezer and cut into chunks (you can also scoop thin strips if you prefer) and stick it between two warm ooey-goey melt in your mouth AND in your hands cookies and get down to business. Enjoy!
- You can also sub in 3/4 cup of cocoa powder in the flour (reduce the flour by the same amount) to make a double chocolate chip cookie.