A Quick Heads Up
This post may contain affiliate links. We receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) when you make a purchase using our link, which helps us keep bringing you more of these posts!
I am a graduate student, which means that while my schedule is flexible, sometimes it’s also unpredictable. One night last week I had to stay late for a function for my program, which meant either I was picking up something on my way home or Abraham was going to be holding down the fort. Thankfully for our waistlines, he chose the latter and made this really tasty one pot chicken and brown rice dish.
We love rotisserie chicken and usually buy one every week or two. They are so dang versatile! Usually, we just shred it up and then have it all week to toss in breakfast tacos, a quick stir fry, or even chicken and rice. Prior to discovering the wonder that is the Costco rotisserie chicken we bought them from our local HEB (still do on occasion), but we were totally spoilt by the awesome price of the Costco bird and the SIZE! Have you ever seen one? They are easily 1.5 times the size of a normal one. Epic chicken.
Anyways, I digress. This dish was awesome because it was so simple. It would work great for busy weeknights and would scale easily for larger families. You could also regular chicken breasts or thighs that you pre-cook and shred if you don’t have a rotisserie chicken on hand.
One Pot Chicken and Brown Rice
Yield 4 servings
This dish is part of our series on quick meals made with rotisserie chicken. This dish is healthy, delicious, only takes 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed (about 2 medium lemons)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 block crumbled feta cheese (about 2 oz)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 green onions
- salt & pepper
Prep the ingredients
- Peel and small dice the onion. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Shred the rotisserie chicken (save the rest for another recipe). If not using a citrus juicer, quarter and deseed lemons for juicing.
Cook the aromatics and chicken
- Heat a large pan to medium, saute the onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until translucent. Add garlic to the pan with the onions and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the chicken, lemon juice, and oregano to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to mix contents of the man and saute for 2 minutes (till chicken warmed).
Cook the rice
- Add rice and chicken stock to the pan. Stir to mix evenly. Allow to come to a boil and then reduce heat simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes, or until all moisture has been absorbed and rice is tender. While the rice cooks, prep the topping
Prep the Feta Topping
- Remove the root end from the green onion and slice it on the diagonal. Crumble the feta and mix with olive oil, green onion, and red wine vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Once rice is fully cooked, serve in a bowl and finish with a generous helping of feta topping. Bon Appetit!
If your pan is on the smaller side, make sure it has high enough walls to contain the dish! This can also work in a dutch oven.