A Quick Heads Up
This post may contain affiliate links. We receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) when you make a purchase using our link, which helps us keep bringing you more of these posts!
Merry Christmas everyone!
The heater has been out at my house for the past three weeks due to a dumb thermostat dying followed by a “smart” thermostat being unable to correctly interface with my system… so needless to say it’s been a bit chilly lately!
To stave off imminent frostbite, we have been consuming much in the way of warm drinks, including hot tea and coffee. But sometimes you just need to mix it up a bit! Enter mulled wine –
This drink is both warming, delicious, and dead simple to make
Mulled Wine with Bourbon
Yield 4 servings
Banish the chill of a cold winter night with this warming and delicious mulled wine.
- 1 Bottle Red Wine - cheap wine works great for this
- 1/4 cup Bourbon (I particularly like 1835)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1-2 Star Anise Pods
- 1-2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 8-10 Cloves (whole)
- (Optional) Orange Peel
- Pour the wine and bourbon into a medium pot on low heat
- Add the honey, stir to incorporate
- (Optional) put the star anise and cloves into a tea strainer to make it easier to remove later, drop them and the rest of your spices into the drink
- Simmer (do not let it boil or all your bourbon will fly, fly away) for at least 10 minutes - though the longer the more infused the flavor will become so it's fine if you don't grab it immediately
- Strain and serve in a mug
- Garnish with extra orange peel or cinnamon sticks if you have them
You can leave this to simmer longer, and the flavors will continue to intensify. Don't leave it too long though or it will evaporate too much!